Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Baron Geisler and Jake Cuenca to have kissing scene in upcoming movie “Lihis”

"It would be a little awkward kissing another man but for the sake of art and my craft, it would be a great experience.”

Baron GeislerJake Cuenca

According to PEP: For his comeback to the big screen, Baron  Geisler will be starring in Lihis, which has a screenplay written by award-winning scriptwriter Ricky Lee.

According to director Joel Lamangan, the characters in the movie are based on actual people that he knew during the 1970s.

Direk Joel said that he got the idea for the movie in 2003, two years before Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger’s Brokeback Mountain was released by Hollywood.

“Nauna pa kami sa Brokeback Mountain [a film about two gay cowboys released in 2005], pero walang producer,” recalled Direk Joel.

He stressed: "Our movie is not a gay film. It's a story that happens to have gay characters."

In Lihis, Baron portrays Cesar, a poet who happens to be a member of the New People’s Army (NPA). He develops a romantic relationship with his comrade played by Jake Cuenca.

Baron says of his character: “I play Cesar, who is a poet. He is very sensitive about things, about politics, about life. He happens to be gay and he falls in love with his fellow NPA kasama.

"Hopefully, matuloy at si Jake Cuenca ang lover ko dito.”

What prompted him to accept this role?

Baron joked, “Type ko rin naman si Jake. Pinaglaban ko nga itong proyekto na ito.”

He turned serious as he pointed out: “Why not? I’ll be working with Jake Cuenca, Lovi Poe, Direk Joel Lamanagan, and writer Ricky Lee. Wow!

"It’s such a dream project to do. For an actor, it’s a dream role.”

How different is this from the gay character that he portrayed in the 2008 Cinemalaya entry Jay?

“This is different. When I played a homosexual before, walang love.  Sa Jay, I was a director na career-driven. This time, love-driven ito, e.

“May konting kilig factor. It will be really challenging for me but it will be a great experience. I will learn from it and hopefully, I will deliver.”

He also said that this movie marks a milestone in his career.

“It’s my first time to be in a love story and nagkataon, lalaki pa ang ka-love team ko. Nakakabaliw for me, pero okay lang.”

Baron confirmed that he will he have kissing scenes and love scenes with Jake.

How is preparing for that?

“I don’t know how to prepare. If one has to prepare for a love scene with a male, I don’t think there’s a right way to do that. I know we will be professional about it.”

Does he think it would be awkward for him to shoot intimate scenes with Jake?

“Pagdating naman sa work, I will set aside my personal life. It’s just work.

"It would be a little awkward kissing another man but for the sake of art and my craft, it would be a great experience.”